Saturday 26 January 2008

My Blog and its Purpose

Everyone has a blog these days it seems and everyone who has a blog has an opinion. I doubt I'll be any different on either front.

What I do intend to do is discuss music. But not in a boring and contrived 'review format' manner. It's my intention to simply say what I think. Most people, when reviewing albums tend to listen repeatedly (at least one would hope so) and then offer an informed (that's the dream) critique of that recording. But what is it that keeps us listening? A reviewer has some sort of responsibility - to their publication, site, blog or whatever, but also to the artist they are discussing. They also have time to find merit in that release. I like the idea of hearing something for the first time and commenting. I think, at this point at least, that that's where the real truth lays. I also like the idea that that 'truth' can change, and evolve. When you consider that some of your fave albums may have been ones you hated initially, to come full circle and see what you believe to be true merit in a recording is a great and rewarding experience. I think it also says something about you - you were not afraid to be wrong. I hate people who are afraid to be wrong.

I listen to a lot of different music and like to think my tastes are broad. It's true I definitely have my favourite styles and stylistic leanings, but what I am trying to say is that don't look at this blog for a particular theme; from a genre point of view at any rate. I guess as I start posting that it will make sense.

No comments: