Tuesday 4 March 2008

MURDER CITY DEVILS In Name And Blood












Artist: MURDER CITY DEVILS
Title: In Name And Blood
Year of Release: 2000
Label: Sub Pop
Format: CD

This band existed for a scant five years and though I loved this band the moment I heard them, their rise and fall seemed to take place much to my oblivion. For the uninitiated, MCD are kick ass punk rock with some really smokin' keys that weave their way throughout most of the band's orchestrations.

I've never heard another band quite like them, and most of their orchestrations are pretty straight forward. they are one of those bands however that manages to inject so much into their sound that even seemingly mundane riffs and ideas hold a certain magic.

Brash vocals, loads of hooks and for me a really great band name all add to the overall appeal of the band. Some great lyrics are on offer also, and these commentaries come directly from the heart... directly from people who've experienced love, loss and that shrug of the shoulders that is sometimes the best thing you can offer, and the only gesture you care to make. Tracks like 'Rum To Whiskey', and 'Idle Hands' possess so much truth and insight; they simply never get old.

I love the artwork on this release too, and really can't find a negative thing about it... beyond the sad reality that this was their last album proper. MCD did unveil a live album which was pretty nasty unfortunately. Gritty and real - 100% punk rock on that front, but a really lousy live recording which for people who've been touched by the degree of fandom I have, it simply wasn't enough.

Most telling was a DVD documentary called 'Rock 'n Roll Won't Wait' which really elaborated as to why such an engaging act managed to fizzle out after such a small period of time. I guess if I were on the front lines of this band's life and times they may not have inspired me in the way they have, but that's a question for which I have no answer, so...

No comments: