Friday 7 March 2008

DARKTHRONE The Dull Years Part 2













Artist: DARKTHRONE
Title: Hate Them
Year of Release: 2003
Label: Moonfog
Format: LP

While this record offers some OK riffs, despite its 7 tracks, for the most part it truly feels elongated and it is hard to find any true inspiration lurking in its grooves. It’s important to note that these are not carte blanche attacks on a band who I claim to be a fan of. Rather these are questions as to why these records made the cut? Why these tracks were considered worthy of release? For a band who have delivered such acclaimed work in the past and would beyond ‘Hate Them’, I find this period of Darkthrone to quite puzzling.

I don’t feel there is anything really compelling about this record, though it would be inaccurate to say that it was a total write off. I think the question best raised here, is if any other band made this release, would anyone listen to it?

Elements of ‘Fucked Up And Ready To Die’ which is easily the most noteworthy cut from side A inspire feelings reminiscent of ‘Goatlord’ but I believe this is most readily attributed to Nocturno Culto’s phrasing which is a qualitative component of every DT offering. This track has a great chorus, and Fenriz’ orthodox drum beats really inject a fine swing-like aura to this piece.

Have I failed to manage my expectations? Do Darkthrone have any interest in what their ‘fans’ think, or what they deliver unto them via their recorded work?

The B side offered a more experimental slant, though I would exercise the term only relative to that which has gone before it. Sadly, nothing that leaps into the realms of memorable.

Will I ever even play this record again???

No comments: